9/11/13

Some favourite web sites to share: introverts and education


Embracing the introvert in education
 I just finished my fiction novel "The Golden City" - part of a series about technology, societal control and being off the grid. It was interesting reading by author John Twelve Hawks, who apparently lives an unplugged and non-traceable lifestyle as well. Many libertarian ideas shared in this book. (However, I know little about libertarianism other than what I hear a few friends discuss when they debate about Austrian economics, goverments and political policies. Ah, down time on lazy Sundays.) :)  But getting back to the last of the "Dark Realm trilology" Golden city was entertaining, an easy read, which contained familiar archetypes, interesting characters and somewhat interesting settings. I love a great book. This is supposed to be one trait of introverts. I'm supposed to be one.  

Yes, I continue to reflect, reconnect and embrace with my learning preferences and style.

So, an introvert and an extrovert meet on a subway.....



Funny but true and the above short little video relates to the next book on my reading list. (I admit I have a few on that list.)  That would be Quiet by Susan Cain. We own a copy. I've glanced at a few paragraphs.  I hear reading the book from cover to cover will help me understand and embrace my introverted self (now that I've come to terms with the fact that I'm a true introvert). I've often made excuses for myself saying that I'm shy etc. But truth be told, even in my first career as a journalist. If I need to I can start a conversation with anyone. I usually can find common ground too. I'm not too timid to speak in front of large crowds, bring attention to myself etc. However, I don't feel any need to take a spotlight, control a conversation or make me the centre of it all. I also rejuvinate on my own and really enjoy my alone and thinking time. That is what I believe comes down to being a true introvert. I wonder how we as educators are meeting the needs of our introverted students. Not necessarily making sure that there is individual work time provided or own time slotted during a school day, but also providing those nuanced opportunities for introverts to thrieve in today's educational setting. I will continue to collect some resources but for now here are a few resources I've found about introversion and education.

This week Maclean's magazine published an article: Shout if you're an introvert. Have you read it? You should.

 Susan Cain herself during a Ted Talk:

You can take the quiz on Susan Cain's web page in case you're wondering how you would rate.

An article: Introversion: The Often Forgotten Factor Impacting the Gifted 
read the article here.
(The article contains a quick list of traits of introverts and extraverts. This is one group's list of characteristics.) Another for the students with gifted exceptionality is: How to make your class cozy for gifted introverts.  I love the fact the author notes that according to Myers-Briggs most teachers are: ESFJ. ESFJ really? You may recall I'm an INFP - an entirely different part of the 16 personality spectrum. Huh, #interesting.



Article: Why introverts shouldn't be forced to talk in class. Here The article refers to another book I'd like to read " Rethinking Classroom Participation: Listening to Silent Voices" one I think would be insightful.

For those visual learners here are a few infographics to share with you: 


from: http://introvertretreat.com


from: introverspring.com
I'm going to continue to look at more student-related research and resources about teaching, learning, environments with introverts and extroverts. However, if you have any please share them with me via this blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment